- For the past couple of years I have been hearing anecdotal stories about the lack of teaching resources in the New Westminster School District- across the District and at all grade levels.
- Last month, as an individual trustee, I met with the NWTU executive and they claimed that many of the anecdotal stories that I was hearing were true. We have a surplus of funds in the District and I see no need for our students and staff to do without materials.
- Last week Chair of the Board Slade-Kerr raised concerns about the lack of Math textbooks in her in reaction to the suggestion that the Superintendent would be bring someone to co-ordinate May Day.
- A couple of months ago Trustee Campbell raised a concern about teachers being forced to pay for their students supplies for new classrooms.
- Trustees can raise all the concerns that they like but they need to actually move motions to accomplish something at the Board table. This led me to propose these 2 motions for the January Operations Committee meeting.
- THAT the Operations Policy and Planning Committee recommend to the Board of Education for School District No. 40 (New Westminster) that the Board of Education direct the Superintendent to survey all staff regarding resources in the District.
- I further move that we direct the Superintendent to, in collaboration with both teaching and administrative staff, establish a list of expected materials that every classroom should have to support learning.